11.09.2009

Holding On For Dear Life

I know we've all heard this before, but in this life, "it's the simple things that mean the most."

My life is hectic, and there are always things, situations, people, obstacles revolving in and out. Nobody likes change, I think on a base level if we could stop our lives from spinning and slow them down, we would.

Unfortunately, we can't do that, so we cope and we learn to live life the best we can, a day at a time.

Sometimes, that's a little easier said than done. But the best thing that we can do is to focus on the small things that mean the most to us, the basic pleasures we derive in this life, and sometimes, everything else will stop spinning and come into focus.

Lately I've become aware that my "small things" are my family, my best friend, and my dog. Family is there for you through thick and thin, and mine is no exception. They love me even when I'm at my worst... and that, friends, is what true love and family are really about. My best friend is absolutely priceless, and she has been there for me through the past few months more than I think most people I know... living with her has really been an "iron sharpens iron" kind of friendship, and I'm beyond blessed to be able to share this season of my life with someone as amazing as she is. And my dog? well, I won't deny that she's better than any other dog in this world (need proof? See above picture).

There are days where I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, and I've chosen at this stage in the game to rely on the One who is always faithful and never fails. I'm far, very far, from perfect. When I'm tired and hungry, I can be super grouchy. If it's a rainy day and it's cold outside, usually it's impossible to motivate me to do anything. Sometimes I can have a temper flare-up that's not very pretty. I laugh at the wrong times, sometimes I say the wrong thing and often, I think without speaking. But you know what? I know that even through those things, I'm still worth a heck of a lot.

I'm actually worth even more than just "a lot." I know in the eyes of my King, I'm priceless, and it's about time I started accepting that. God wants us to take His word seriously, because He's the only entity where we can take His word and believe Him every time. In Genesis 22:15-18, God had asked Abraham to sacrifice his son in the ultimate example of obedience. Abraham did not question God's command, and right before ending his son's life, God stopped Abraham and said this: "The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time and said, 'I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on Earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me." God wants us to take him at his word, that He will provide for us and give us anything and everything that we need - if only we will seek Him and honor Him.

Sometimes, on a good day, that's easy to do. We let go & let God. Other days, in other seasons of our lives, it's not as easy and we struggle to hold on by our fingernails as God takes away the very things we've tried to hold dear because they're not in His plan for us at that time in our lives.

But in time, if it's right, He will either give us those things back - or He'll give us something better. I don't know about you, but if the creator of the world and everything in it wants to give me a present that's exactly what I need, what I want, when I'm ready for it... well, I think I'll just go ahead and choose to wait on His timing.

And in the meantime, I'll hold dear to the simple things in my life that mean so much. Because ultimately, it's not about what I want for myself - it's about what God blesses me with. And here's to hoping that you learn to live day by day as I'm learning to... so far, it's been pretty good :)

Parting thought:
Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you with whatever hard things come up when the time comes - Matthew 6:34

Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment